A fence permit is required for all new and replacement fences.
- Fence design requirements
- Fences within historic districts have additional submittal and review requirements.
- Fences must be located entirely upon the private property of the person constructing or causing the construction of the fence, unless the property owner adjoining agrees in a written notarized statement that a fence may be erected on the division line of both properties.
- Repairs to an existing fence do not require a permit. A repair is the replacement of a portion of a fence which is less than 25% of its total linear distance, or 300 sq. ft. of fence surface, whichever is less.
- Repairs must be made in the same material, at the same height, and same location as the original fence.
- Fences must be at least 12 inches from a public sidewalk or street.
- Issuance of a permit should not be construed as certifying that property boundaries, fence locations, or easements are correct.
- Completed fence permit application
- One copy of a boundary survey (a real property report does not constitute a boundary survey) showing the location of all property lines, structures, and the location and dimensions of the existing and proposed fencing.
- Description of the fence materials, height, and type (e.g. sketch, brochure, photo, etc.)
- $40 fee
Application forms, required materials, and fees must be submitted in person at the Customer Service counter in City Hall. Mailed or faxed applications are not accepted.